How to engage with nature
Similar to the art project ideas, here are some ideas to engage with nature. They don't require any specific knowledge or identification skills (unless you'd like them to!).
- Count the number of wildflowers on your street. Try to identify, draw, or photograph them if you like.
- Draw a map of your wildflower and animal sightings. If possible, update the map next year to see what has changed and what has stayed the same.
- Record an animal's behaviour through video, photography, drawing, or writing.
- Choose a small patch of flowers and count the insects you can see. The longer you look, the more you'll see.
- Listen to the sounds around you in whatever you consider a natural area, paying attention to each one. If you like, make a recording and play it back to identify more sounds.
Back to science